Pennylane Shen is an artist consultant, curator and educator. Since 2006, her company Dazed and Confucius has offered one-on-one consultations to over 1000 artists each year as well as business development seminars worldwide. While Dazed and Confucius caters to artists’ needs such as marketing and career support, what sets them apart from other art advisors is their core philosophy: prioritizing strong concept and identity building first and foremost.
Pennylane holds a Master’s Degree in Visual Culture Theory from NYU and has lectured at various forums throughout Canada, the US and the UK. Her publications discuss the politics of representation, race and fine art. For more than a decade, Pennylane has worked in commercial galleries throughout Canada. Among her curation, speaking and education projects are the Ted Talks, Creative Mornings, The NYC Crit Club, The Vancouver Mural Festival and the Vancouver General Hospital and UBC Foundation.
Listed below are this Master’s specialty skills. Join this group if you want to grow your skills in these areas.
Supplies and Tools – what to use, where to save, and where to spend
Providing Art Critiques
Teaching How to Self Critique
MARKETING & BRANDING:
Marketing and Branding
JOIN YOUR GROUP
- Professional Services Focus
- Next session: February 07, 2023
- On the 1st Tuesday of every month
- Find Your Timezone:
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM MST Tue
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Tue
11:00 PM - 1:00 AM GMT Tue
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM AEDT Wed
For Emerging & Accomplished Artists
Am I An Emerging Artist?
As an emerging artist, you have been painting regularly and feel fairly confident in your one unique style.
You've taken workshops/courses and have already been selling your work to friends, family, and in community shows, markets and beyond.
Now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- art critiques - getting expert feedback on your artwork
- selling - learn how to sell your artwork
- building your brand and marketing, leveraging social media well
- earning a steady income in an unsteady economy
- how to approach galleries and/or go solo successfully
- business skills - learn the mechanics of creating and sustaining a business as an artist
- production - studio set-up and time management to maximize production
- art licensing - what products to create, how to find a reputable producer
Am I An Accomplished Artist?
As an Accomplished artist, you have become established and successful as an artist – so now what? Mastery!
- You have a well-defined style & display strong technical skills
- You have approximately 10 years of dedication to your craft (CV/resume demonstrates approximately 10 years of shows, exhibitions, gallery representation)
- You may have started teaching others technique skills
- You worry about the risk of getting stagnant in your art growth by the distraction of commercial success
What do you learn?
- Connecting your personal voice to your craft. Personal expression of how you feel about life, communicated in your own unique way. Challenging your motives: are you painting from a place of passion, or due to pressure?
- Differentiate your work. Stand out from the crowd.
- Never stop pursuing excellence in your work. Hone the subtle nuances of technique and work in your unique voice.