Emotion Of Color
Gallery Art Show
Applications Exclusive to Navigators
Participant List Coming Soon!
PREVIOUS SHOW SAMPLES
Participant Requirements & Agreement
- This show is exclusive for Mastrius Navigators
- All artwork submitted must be original pieces of artwork in both creation and composition, not copied from demos or other artists’ work.
- Pieces being sold must be new artwork, not previously shown in a physical or online art show or gallery
- Artists must submit a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 paintings.
- Each artwork submitted (regardless of medium) must measure 10in. x 10in.
- Watercolor: Each artwork submitted must be created on watercolor quality paper and mounted on panel.
- All other mediums: Each artwork submitted must be created on gallery wrap canvas, deep cradle board, or wood panel.
- Substrates must be at least 1.5″ deep including canvas, wood panel, and birch panel.
- Shipping Fee Estimate will be added and charged to the Purchaser.
- Artwork Submission deadline September 19th @ 11:59pm MDT
Show launches September 27th @ 6pm MDT
Show ends September 29th @ 8pm MDT
- By participating in Mastrius Emotion of Color Gallery Art Show, artists commit to co-market the event through their own channels.
- The artist agrees to represent their artwork on the digital screen to the best of their ability.
- Shipping Fee Estimate will be added and charged to the Purchaser. Shipping Fee collected may be slightly higher or lower than actual cost incurred by Artist.
- Mastrius reserves the right to use submitted artwork for Art Show marketing purposes.
- Mastrius collects 20% of the commission of all sold artworks. The remaining 80% belongs to the artist of sold artworks and will be given accordingly. (This is an exclusive commission rate for Navigators)
- Participating artists commit to shipping all sold artwork to the appropriate buyer(s) after the show closes.
- All artwork complaints and refunds are the sole responsibility of the artist.
NOTICE: All prices in $USD
DISCLAIMER: The artists are responsible for shipping all sold artwork to the appropriate buyer(s) after the show closes. All artwork complaints, losses, damages, and refunds are to be dealt with between the artist and customer. Mastrius is not liable for any losses or damages of artwork.