Mastrius Artist Mentor
This artist is mentoring at Mastrius. Visit our How It Works page for membership details.
Mentoring Aspiring Artists
Not sure if you’re an aspiring artist? Visit our How It Works page.
SPECIALTY: ✔ Technique Demos ✔ Composition ✔ Finding Your Artistic Style
Living in the Midwest has influenced my style of painting and choice of subject matter significantly. Many of my pieces depict very common scenes I have experienced. As a child, I spent countless hours playing on the riverbanks and wooded areas in Central Iowa. Even today, I continue to be intrigued with nature and the way sunlight and shadows help define the landscape. I continue to spend my mornings hiking and sketching the rugged landscape along the Iowa River near my home. My goal is to paint relatively common scenes in a more dramatic and interesting way. Most of my finished works are the result of reference photographs and on-location (plein-air) studies.
I have worked primarily in pastels and oil paints. I plan to continue to explore these two mediums and look forward to many more years of painting and conducting workshops.
Tom Christopher is a Signature Member of the Pastel Society of America (PSA) and Master Circle, International Association of Pastel Societies (IAPS).
Listed below are this Mentor’s specialty skills. Join this group if you want to grow in these areas.
Specialty: ✔ Technique Demos ✔ Composition ✔ Finding Your Artistic Style
Supplies and tools – what to use, where to save, and where to spend
Providing Art Critiques
Teaching How to Self Critique
Studio Time Management
“Mastrius has done wonders for my confidence. I have managed to step way outside of my comfort zone which has in turn given rise to so many more opportunities to further my art career.”
~ Deb, Emerging Artist
select your mentorship group
If the group you’re interested in has a waitlist, you have the option to join another group to get started. When your group opens we can transfer you over.
- Next session: June 14, 2023
- On the 2nd Wednesday of every month
- This global group meets at:
5:00 PM - 7:00 PM MDT Wed
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM EDT Wed
12:00 AM - 2:00 AM BST Thu
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM AEST Thu
...and your timezone too!
Contact us if you need help
MORE ABOUT THE ARTIST
- 2008 4th Place – The Pastel Journal Top 100 Paintings
- 2010 First Place – Arkansas Pastel Society National Exhibition
- 2011 Feature article in the Pastel Journal – “Rural Values”
- 2012 Honorable Mention – Pastel Journal Top 100 Paintings
- 2013 Purchase Award – Pastel Society Society of New Mexico National Exhibition
- 2013 Honorable Mention – Pastel JournaL Top 100 Paintings
- 2014 Honorable Mention – Pastel Journal Top 100 Paintings
- 2014 Merit Award – Great Lakes Pastel Society National Exhibition
- 2014 Feature Article – Plein Air Magazine
- 2014 Terry Ludwig Award – Pastel Society of the West Coast Annual Exhibition
- 2015 Best of Show – IAPS “International Association of Pastel Societies”
exhibition Albuquerque, NM
- 2015; Workshop/ Demo artist for IAPS Convention Albuquerque NM
- 2015 Pastelist Award – Pastel Society of America
- 2017 Demo Artist PLein Air Convention Tucson Az
- 2017 Awarded Master Circle medal IAPS convention .. Demo Artist
- 2017 Albert Handell Award – International Association Of Pastel Societies IAPS International exhibition
- 2022 Demo Artist for Pastel Live Eric Rhoads Streamline Productions
- 2022 Demo Artist for Plein Air Convention Santa Fe, New Mexico