Oil | Pastel
My work has always been driven by three visual imperatives: the inherent abstraction within nature, pattern, and unified light.
A painting can reach a viewer in different parts of their mind. One part responds to things we can name like houses, trees, clouds, and the narrative itself. Another part responds to aesthetics such as color, shape, or movement. This is the part of the mind I want to reach. I consider a picture most successful when the viewer is struck by these aesthetics before they recognize the actual subject.
Color harmony is a core instinct for me. The landscape, with its atmosphere and unified light, is an ideal subject with which to pursue this interest. If I cannot make all the colors in the painting feel as if they are bound together through a unifying color of light, then I will not consider the painting entirely successful. In my work, this cohesiveness often is often achieved with a very limited palette. Each of my paintings also has a distinct color chord, which is meant to capture a particular color of light or time of day.
In my current work, the Azure and Asphalt and Rooftops series, I bring my interest in unified light and pattern to the urban landscape. These works explore the abstract patterns formed by reflected light on the streets and rooftops at sunset. In these works I strike a delicate balance between simplification and detail: I have to include enough visual cues to make it clear to the viewer that it is an urban landscape, but few enough that it doesn’t distract from my primary interest, which are the abstract patterns and the light.
join your group
- Next Session July 5, 2022
- 3-hour Session
- 11am - 2pm MT (1pm - 4pm ET)
- Repeats on the 1st Tuesday of every month
- PLEASE NOTE: The Master Artist will pre-screen all Accomplished-stage registrants, and acceptance is not guaranteed. The Master Artist will ensure they are a good fit for you, if not, we will help you find the best fit, or refund your money.
~ Pam, Accomplished Artist
Mitchell’s critiques are very thoughtful and informative and it’s apparent that he prepares for each session to provide relevant content and insight. I am grateful for his expanse of knowledge and expertise in helping our group to learn so much!
~ Jennifer, Accomplished Artist
I really enjoyed learning as a group and found Mitchell very knowledgeable. I learned not only when he was critiquing my work, but as he made his way through the whole group!
~ Jodi, Accomplished Artist
I am honoured to have had the opportunity to work with Mitchell. His sessions were organized, content rich and tailored to address specific areas of interest in our group. I appreciated the time he took to get to know us as individuals and the insights he shared help us gain a better understanding of our personal strengths and growth areas. I found Mitchell to be very generous and honest when sharing his experience, knowledge and advice and I highly recommend his class! P.S. I “second” Pams comment on the lovely group! I felt very much welcome and supported from day one!
~ Roberta, Accomplished Artist
My paintings changed for the better. Mitchell’s suggestions and guidance improved my work. Without a doubt. I highly recommend him as mentor and teacher.
~ Teresa, Accomplished Artist
Listed below are this Master’s specialty skills. Join this Master’s group if you want to grow your skills in these areas.
Colour and Composition
Providing Art Critiques
Supplies and Tools - what to use, where to save, and where to spend
Teaching How to Self Critique
MARKETING & BRANDING:
Artist Statement & CV
For ASPIRING & ACCOMPLISHED Artists
AM I AN ASPIRING ARTIST?
As an aspiring artist, you have been creating on the side, as a hobby, and now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- technique - color and composition
- art critiques - get feedback on your artwork to help you narrow and hone your style
- supplies and tools - where to save and where to spend
- marketing - learn to write your artist statement and CV, build your brand, launch a website, maximize your social media
- price artwork – because your time and talent have value
Am I An Accomplished Artist?
As an Accomplished artist, you have become established and successful as an artist – so now what? Mastery!
- You have a well-defined style & display strong technical skills
- You have approximately 10 years of dedication to your craft (CV/resume demonstrates approximately 10 years of shows, exhibitions, gallery representation)
- You may have started teaching others technique skills
- You worry about the risk of getting stagnant in your art growth by the distraction of commercial success
What do you learn?
- Connecting your personal voice to your craft. Personal expression of how you feel about life, communicated in your own unique way. Challenging your motives: are you painting from a place of passion, or due to pressure?
- Differentiate your work. Stand out from the crowd.
- Never stop pursuing excellence in your work. Hone the subtle nuances of technique and work in your unique voice.
Stay in the Know!
Join our Mailing List to receive information about new Masters, Events and Mentorship Groups.
Many of us feel “abandoned” or alone in our artistic pursuits, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey.
By combining interactive mentorship and trusted community, Mastrius offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing artists like you to secure success and experience joy.