Mixed Media | Graphite | Sculptor | Encaustic
I am intrigued with the ways in which we interrelate - especially when these relationships are punctuated by physical distance or separation by time. In this ongoing series of shadow drawings called String Theory, I visually nod to the complexities of interconnectedness and allude to the delicate yet strong relationships we form with one another over space and time. Much like the theory in subatomic particle physics in which tiny, vibrating, string-like objects float in space, my work visually vibrates with the use of line and shadow. In the world of physics, string theory exist in up to nine dimensions of space - plus the dimension of time. I layer multiple pieces of paper which visually reference this space-time continuum.
My physical manipulation of light and space in these works acts simultaneously as object, image, and silhouette. When illuminated by numerous light sources and hung off the wall, these hand sewn cut paper sculptures produce a visible dance of light. Working reductively to create this dimensional lace made with paper, thread, and wax, I literally and figuratively demonstrate - that which is removed is as important as that which remains.
join your group
- Starts August 24, 2022
- Repeats on the 4th Wednesday of every month
- 5pm - 7pm MDT (7 - 9 pm EDT, 12-2 am BST on Thursday’s, 9 am-11 am AEST on Thursday’s)
Listed below are this Master’s specialty skills. Join this Master’s group if you want to grow your skills in these areas.
Studio Setup for Art Production
Providing Art Critiques
Teaching How to Self Critique
Sketch & Thinking Book
MARKETING & BRANDING:
Artist Statement & CV
Shows and Exhibits
Studio Time Management
For Emerging & Accomplished Artists
Am I An Emerging Artist?
As an emerging artist, you have been painting regularly and feel fairly confident in your one unique style.
You've taken workshops/courses and have already been selling your work to friends, family, and in community shows, markets and beyond.
Now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- art critiques - getting expert feedback on your artwork
- selling - learn how to sell your artwork
- building your brand and marketing, leveraging social media well
- earning a steady income in an unsteady economy
- how to approach galleries and/or go solo successfully
- business skills - learn the mechanics of creating and sustaining a business as an artist
- production - studio set-up and time management to maximize production
- art licensing - what products to create, how to find a reputable producer
Am I An Accomplished Artist?
As an Accomplished artist, you have become established and successful as an artist – so now what? Mastery!
- You have a well-defined style & display strong technical skills
- You have approximately 10 years of dedication to your craft (CV/resume demonstrates approximately 10 years of shows, exhibitions, gallery representation)
- You may have started teaching others technique skills
- You worry about the risk of getting stagnant in your art growth by the distraction of commercial success
What do you learn?
- Connecting your personal voice to your craft. Personal expression of how you feel about life, communicated in your own unique way. Challenging your motives: are you painting from a place of passion, or due to pressure?
- Differentiate your work. Stand out from the crowd.
- Never stop pursuing excellence in your work. Hone the subtle nuances of technique and work in your unique voice.
Stay in the Know!
Join our Mailing List to receive information about new Masters, Events and Mentorship Groups.
Many of us feel “abandoned” or alone in our artistic pursuits, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey.
By combining interactive mentorship and trusted community, Mastrius offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing artists like you to secure success and experience joy.