Oil | Acrylic | Watercolour | Mixed Media | Graphite
It seems I’ve been creating and painting all my life. Growing up in New York City gave me an amazing bounty of diverse subjects in order that I might never have to repeat the same theme or subject in my work.
In the market place of success for an artist, it seems one clear statement or being well recognized for one thing or a style is contrary to my approach. I attempt to create each piece as a new conversation with a time and place all its own. I choose the language of traditional contemporary realism to communicate my vision, because it’s the language that’s most relevant to my experience.
The challenge for me is to combine accurate and compelling use of light, form and color with fascinating subjects, a slice of life which enables me to document a universal vision of humanity and of our times, and on a deeper level engaging in a dialog of what it means to be alive as the ultimate expression.
If successful I hope to encourage the viewer towards embracing their own fascination for people, places and their own sense of awe for our collective human experience.
Colour and Composition
Supplies and Tools - what to use, where to save, and where to spend
Studio Setup for Art Production
Providing Art Critiques
Teaching How to Self Critique
MARKETING & BRANDING:
Shows and Exhibits
Running your art business the day-to-day
Studio Time Management
Products, Prints, & Reproductions
For Emerging & Accomplished Artists
Am I An Emerging Artist?
As an emerging artist, you have been painting regularly and feel fairly confident in your one unique style.
You've taken workshops/courses and have already been selling your work to friends, family, and in community shows, markets and beyond.
Now you're ready to take it to the next level!
YOU'RE INTERESTED IN:
- art critiques - getting expert feedback on your artwork
- selling - learn how to sell your artwork
- building your brand and marketing, leveraging social media well
- earning a steady income in an unsteady economy
- how to approach galleries and/or go solo successfully
- business skills - learn the mechanics of creating and sustaining a business as an artist
- production - studio set-up and time management to maximize production
- art licensing - what products to create, how to find a reputable producer
Am I An Accomplished Artist?
As an Accomplished artist, you have become established and successful as an artist – so now what? Mastery!
- You have a well-defined style & display strong technical skills
- You have approximately 10 years of dedication to your craft (CV/resume demonstrates approximately 10 years of shows, exhibitions, gallery representation)
- You may have started teaching others technique skills
- You worry about the risk of getting stagnant in your art growth by the distraction of commercial success
What do you learn?
- Connecting your personal voice to your craft. Personal expression of how you feel about life, communicated in your own unique way. Challenging your motives: are you painting from a place of passion, or due to pressure?
- Differentiate your work. Stand out from the crowd.
- Never stop pursuing excellence in your work. Hone the subtle nuances of technique and work in your unique voice.
JOIN YOUR GROUp!
- Next Session March 16, 2022
- On the 3rd Wednesday of every month
- 5:00pm - 7:00pm MT (7:00pm - 9:00pm ET)
About The Artist
Born in 1961 in New York City, Garin Baker was raised on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. With a strong focus on working from life his works include complex compositions to simple figure studies. His realism combined with an expressive nature shows passionate engagement with a variety of contemporary subjects.
Garin studied at Pratt Institute in the early 80’s and began a career as a fine Artist and illustrator enabling him to raise a young family and renovate a 1790 historical property in the lower Hudson Valley just north of NYC.
As an arts educator Garin teaches life painting at the prestigious Art Students League in NYC. As a Professional Muralist he has initiated several community-based public art projects and as a nationally and internationally recognized muralist he has collaborated on many development initiatives partnering with governments, businesses and grass roots organizations, creating iconic and heralded works of public art.
To his credits are numerous gallery exhibitions and awards including Grand Prize at Plein Air Easton, The Irvine Museum Award, recent invitations to the American Masters Exhibitions in NYC. His work has been featured in many publications including The Washington Post, American Artist, Fine Art Connoisseur, Plein Air Magazine, Chronogram and countless others.
In addition Garin runs a Public Art Mural Company, which offers apprenticeships to young artists working to improve their craft while gaining hands on experience in the public art realm.
What is LevellingUp?
Many of us feel like we’re “going it alone” in our relationships & careers, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey, for community and support.
By combining interactive coaching, mentorship and collaborative community, LevellingUp offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing professionals like you to secure success and experience joy.