It took me a long time to accept the idea that my artistic voice would only sing when I embraced who I really was as a painter. I am an emotional painter; I feel my way around a painting, seeking to share my connection to the piece rather than seek perfection. My work is a compilation of seemingly random strokes, a story woven out of paint. It is a gestural creation, made with layers and layers of color and marks on a canvas.
I have a lifelong connection to the land and its creature. Maybe it is that extension from my childhood, growing up on the family farm. My current work shifts between wild animals and landscapes. I prefer the angles and assertions of larger brushes that define spaces. In both landscapes and animal paintings, I will use brushstrokes to break up the image, asking the viewer to address the idea of a slice of reality, or a breaking of a linear plane. Each plane seeking a stable path to weave together with what exists around it. I seek this fracturing as a representative of a changing environment. A seemingly quiet moment is broken up by disappearing elements or marks of light as if we are drifting in and out of a storm, or a “splash” that may or may not have happened. Water or the suggestion of water is pervasive in most of my work. In any space that becomes abstracted, I seem to drift back to this element and its woven reflective qualities. This to me represents the fragile nature of things and the idea that the painting captures a moment that cannot be duplicated.
JOIN YOUR GROUp!
Listed below are this Master’s specialty skills. Join this Master’s group if you want to grow your skills in these areas.
Colour and Composition
Supplies and Tools – what to use, where to save, and where to spend
Studio Setup for Art Production
Providing Art Critiques
MARKETING & BRANDING:
Artist Statement & CV
Shows and Exhibits
Marketing & Branding
Running your art business the day-to-day
For ASPIRING & Emerging Artists
AM I AN ASPIRING ARTIST?
As an aspiring artist, you have been creating on the side, as a hobby, and now you’re ready to take it to the next level!
YOU’RE INTERESTED IN:
- technique – color and composition
- art critiques – get feedback on your artwork to help you narrow and hone your style
- supplies and tools – where to save and where to spend
- marketing – learn to write your artist statement and CV, build your brand, launch a website, maximize your social media
- price artwork – because your time and talent have value
Am I An Emerging Artist?
As an emerging artist, you have been painting regularly and feel fairly confident in your one unique style.
You’ve taken workshops/courses and have already been selling your work to friends, family, and in community shows, markets and beyond.
Now you’re ready to take it to the next level!
YOU’RE INTERESTED IN:
- art critiques – getting expert feedback on your artwork
- selling – learn how to sell your artwork
- building your brand and marketing, leveraging social media well
- earning a steady income in an unsteady economy
- how to approach galleries and/or go solo successfully
- business skills – learn the mechanics of creating and sustaining a business as an artist
- production – studio set-up and time management to maximize production
- art licensing – what products to create, how to find a reputable producer
Stay in the Know!
Join our Mailing List to receive information about new Masters, Events and Mentorship Groups.
Many of us feel “abandoned” or alone in our artistic pursuits, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey.
By combining interactive mentorship and trusted community, Mastrius offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing artists like you to secure success and experience joy.