FOLK | COUNTRY | POP
I’ve been fascinated with songs all my life – ever since I was a teenager in Scotland writing and performing in rock bands and surrounded by Celtic ballads, through to emigrating to Canada and absorbing the various North American musical traditions, performing in country music song circles and folk festivals and participating in pop songwriting camps. Every melody and lyric across my long journey as a song chaser has led me to where I am today. I am comfortable jumping genres and moving between different instruments, following each song down its unique path.
I believe a song is an emotion. I want to write songs that go under the surface and tell stories about the human condition that may be personal but, through the powerful use of lyric, melody, metaphor and prosody, can invite listeners to connect with their own stories. I want to meet people in the music and leave them affected by the interplay of words and melody they hear in the song.
As a writer, I always have my antenna up, constantly listening, not just for lyrical and musical ideas at the embryonic stage of the process, but all the way up to when I’m recording the final vocal in the studio. Re-writing and reviewing songs are a very big part of creating a great song and it takes a lot of hard work and perseverance to get to the point where you are satisfied that you have followed the song all the way to its point of completion. It’s through that mixed process of struggle and joy that I believe the song writes you. You are writing yourself out, learning about yourself as you explore each melodic phrase and lyrical strand.
The Storying Guitar
When You Think No One Loves You
Against the Grain
Fire & Ice
join your group
LU is a perfect balance of accountability, community and fun. It feels like family. Family that makes you a better you.
Songwriting (lyrics, melody)
Songwriting (chord voicings, arrangements, hooks)
Expressing the core message
Ideas & inspiration
Providing song critiques
Nurturing your fan connections – from listeners to supporters
Online streaming concerts
Maximizing live performance through understanding of sound stage/PA setup
For ASPIRING & Emerging SONGWRITERS
AM I AN ASPIRING Songwriter?
As an aspiring songwriter, you have been actively writing songs for pleasure. You’ve had opportunities to perform for smaller friend & family groups, and you want to write songs that truly connect.
YOU’RE INTERESTED IN:
- Learning new ways to find and distill ideas that help nurture your songwriter’s instinct.
- Getting feedback on your work to help you develop the discipline of re-writing.
- Writing yourself out and finding your own unique voice as a songwriter/artist
- Learning how to recognize the essence of your song and how to make sure all the lyrical, musical and production elements support the personality of your song.
- How to craft strong hooks, develop your lyric, melody, and harmony skills to captivate the listener.
Am I An Emerging Songwriter?
As an emerging songwriter, you have been writing regularly, your songs have been recorded and are being performed live with a growing following of fans and you have received positive feedback on your work.
You’ve taken workshops/courses, and you want to better understand what is involved in becoming a professional songwriter and how to up your game to stand out in a highly competitive music and publishing landscape.
YOU’RE INTERESTED IN:
- Writing in fresh and exciting ways, taking you and your songs down different pathways.
- Getting feedback on your work to help you further develop your own unique voice
- Expertly craft hooks, and advance your lyric, melody, and harmony skills to captivate the listener.
- Creating a great marriage between words and music – perfect prosody!
- How to get your songs heard:
- How to build your online profiles to best present and pitch your work
- Understanding the many different revenue streams as a writer
- Strategies for placing your songs in TV and Film
- Song contests
- Studio set-up and workflow for recording and producing your music
- Setting goals and working towards your next professional recording, maximizing pre-production and production so that the recording ends up being the perfect aural photograph of the song.
- Navigating the intricacies of publishing (copyright, licensing, royalties)
Stay in the Know!
Join our Mailing List to receive information about new Masters, Events and Mentorship Groups.
Many of us feel “abandoned” or alone in our artistic pursuits, and we’re looking for people to join us on our journey.
By combining interactive mentorship and trusted community, Mastrius offers a unique, powerful and affordable opportunity for growing artists like you to secure success and experience joy.